Seeing these lovely full skirts around that seem to foreshadow fall. Not that I want the summer to be over. I'm not going to mention the heat. I don't want the summer to be over, although I don't relate to what many people are wearing this season: like strapless knickered rompers. Do you know them? Summers there is free Shakespeare all over the city. My favorite is The Drilling Company, whose productions in a municipal parking lot on the lower east side are called Shakespeare in the Parking Lot. This past week, I saw their Julius Ceasar in which Ceasar was reconfigured as a Bloombergian bureaucratic dictator, and many of the key roles, like Marc Antony's are played by women. Lots of photos below. (Doesn't this play have the best speeches ever?_
I am writing in a public/private space in an unusual neighborhood. I'll tell you where next week.
I need a camera.
I don't like what I'm wearing.
This week, I read Ann Beattie's novella Walks With Men, which is set in NYC in the very early '80s, back when AIDS was referred to as the "gay cancer." A young woman--a rebellious Harvard grad--makes it big with her writing but is emotionally inhibited and controlled by a variety of men, one, in particular twice her age, becomes her husband and svengali and then mysteriously disappears. Subtle and spare, unlike most of Beattie, who I think is a rather messy writer. I recommend.














3 comments:
Aint summer grand ?
I cant believe it is already August - gotta enjoy, relish, every last second of the fleeting season.
I remember attending Shakespeare in the parking lot once somewhere on Layfette... and also some small troupe in Thompson Sq Park one summer. Weren't you with me ?!
I read Ann Beattie's 'The Beet Queen' years ago and loved it.
So melancholic and American.
Arent all those full skirts born from some retro Mad Men inspiration ?
RJT
The Shakespeare in the Parking Lot looks wonderful! I've read about it in New York magazine. As cool as Chicago is (which is fairly cool), it just doesn't match the level of everythingness that New York has.
Post a Comment